Inspiration for these costumes came from
and although I didn't use her tutorial, the idea was top-notch and I wanted to give her the cred she deserves!
Supply List (sushi- both costumes)
-1" Foam (1 for each sushi)
-Spray paint (Pink for salmon, orange for shrimp)
-thick black ribbon
-Hot glue and glue gun
-4 big safety pins
-tape and/or thin ribbons
-dark and light green felt
-light green and pink foam paper
I taped it off, like so
and lightly spray painted the fishy.
When it was dry, I removed the tape, and hot glued it smack on the front of the shirt...
And hot glued the thick ribbon on top of that, all the way across the front of the shirt...
and then hot glued the little red poms on top of that!
I believe I tied the ribbons in a knot in the back, like a sash, trimmed the ends, and pinned it all in place with a big safety pin or 2.
For the Salmon, I followed a similar process, but this time I used ribbons instead of tape, so I could make curves
Making the paint a little uneven makes it look even real-er.
Then I sliced up some more foam into 'carrot' shapes and painted them as well, with the left-over orange paint, and used some of the green foam paper to make veggie sticks. I taped them tightly around the middle, so they would stick out a little bit, and then hot glued them on. After that, I followed the same process- glues the 'veg' to the 'salmon' and them hot glued it all to the shirt, then hot glued the ribbon on to the front of the shirt, all the way across.
My little wasabi headband:
I glued the 'grass' to the headband 1st, then made a ginger flower out of the pink foam (Basically just cut petals and folded them over) and glued that next to the wasabi.
So here's mine, completed
And here we are feeling DELICIOUS!
Soy sauce bonus costume:
For our Soy Sauce, we found this shirt for like $10 at Target, just when I was about to make one, somehow, so that was the easiest part.
Now to figure out HOW to make that HAT!
-Poster sized piece of red craft foam paper
-More hot glue
I cut it onto a long strip, then cut little 3" slits along one side, then glued them to overlap. I glued it to the size of the wearers head to make a cylinder. then I cut a circle about 1" bigger than the top.
Along the edge of the circle, I cut 1" slits all the way around. I then glued the top inside the circle, using the slits to fold under and glue.
So it looked like this:
So, you can still see the edge of the sides but the top is securely glued just peeping above the sides.
He said it was comfortable, and he wore it all night without it becoming annoying.
And we had another addition to our group last-minute, so he got to be sriracha. (shirt- Target. Hat- Any green beanie)
So overall, I think this project including all 4 shirts and supplies, cost me about $60. A huge bargain!
I am not sure how we will ever top these costumes!!
Here are a few cute ideas for kids, if you're in the market, from prior posts.
I hope you try these tasty costumes too! I promise they were easy and you'll feel like a bad-ass wearing your awesome handmade costumes among a sea of Elsa's and more Elsa's.